Monday, April 26, 2010

American Dream

I was at the US Federal Courthouse in Milwaukee last week.  My first impression (while standing in the security line with my shoes in hand) was of great detail and beauty.  The building reminded me of a state capitol buildling, albeit with skylights instead of a dome.

As I walked through the atrium and found my way to my destination, I was struck my the old-ness of the building.  Modern buildings are all metal and fabric and simplicity, with restrooms in places that are easy to find and designs that are based on cost-savings.  The Federal Courthous is clearly not modern.  It is all marble and wood and detail, with restrooms that are behind wooden doors that look no different from all the other doors in the hallway.  The building was built for beauty and permanence.

At the time I was there, two main activities were taking place: third floor, Naturalization Ceremony, 4th floor, bankruptcy hearings.  Two faces of the American dream, one floor apart.  Standing in the security line, I could see the faces--the exuberant faces of families and children tehre to celebrate a decision, an accomplishment, an opportunity.  And I saw the subdued faces and bowed shoulders of those there with the burdens of financial failure.  It was a stark contrast, to be sure.

As my business concluded, I was able to take my time in meandering my way out of the building.  I saw many other pieces of the American dream--a senator's office, people working  to earn money for their families and contribute to the grandness of the building, and even a display on crime in Wisconsin.  As I looked through the display materials on identify theft and rape, it occurred to me that part of the American dream was about many opportunities--the opportunity to succeed financially, the opportunity to publicly and legally acknowledge one's self as an American, the opportunity to pursue justice, and the opportunity to try again.

Going into the US Federal Courthouse, I saw two faces of the American dream.  Leaving, I saw the beautiful old building as a symbol of endurance and strength.   Just one American dream after all, as strong and enduring and beautiful as ever.

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog