Friday, January 23, 2009

chocolate and antiquing

Today was the first day of my daughter's period, so we took our monthly trip to the chocolate shop downtown. She got a chocolate rocking horse, and I got a sampling of several different small chocolates. Then we went across the street to the antique mall. We looked at cookie jars and double-boilers, but we ended up getting a cookbook from 1965. My daughter has recently begun doing a lot of baking, and she enjoyed seeing all the different tips and techniques as well as foods that don't show up in modern cookbooks.

My city has a winter festival every January called Janboree, and it's this weekend. We live right across the street from the best sledding hill in town that has a toboggan run at the top (you can see it at toboggan run (http://www.janboree.org/event03.html) ), and this park is the place that Janboree kicks off. I'm sad that I won't be able to do any sledding this winter, but I enjoy watching all the sledders out of my kitchen window. There's someone doing an ice sculpture, there's a chili cook-off between the fire department and the police department, and there will be fireworks this evening. It's such a treat to get to see fireworks in the middle of winter.

I'm a bit achy from the antique store, but I've enjoyed feeling a bit more normal than usual today.

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog