Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Exercising My Civil Liberties

The governor's budget repair bill will devastate my family's finances. Despite what the average state worker in Wisconsin makes, I am far, far below average. As a nine-month employee, I have four months' worth of health insurance premiums taken out of my June paycheck--the last paycheck I will receive until October 1. If our premiums jump, I may have no actual income in June this year.

I doubt that it will make a difference in the legislative votes, but today I did something that was wonderful for me: I went to the State Capitol with colleagues to protest.

Wow!

Standing there with thousands of other people, our voices all speaking the same words, was an incredible experience. My favorite moment was when we were inside the Capitol Building and people started shouting, "This is what democracy looks like!" And truly, it was.




No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog