Monday, June 6, 2011

Retirement

Yesterday I helped celebrate the retirement of a dear colleague.

As I often am at retirement parties, I was struck by two things: the welcoming arms of the already-retired and the heartache of those who are left behind.

The already-retired enjoy the fellowship of the occasion, as they share tales of travels, grandchildren, and gardening. They are full of joy for the celebrant who is joining their ranks.

Those who remain in the workplace, though, are a bit heartsick. In our case yesterday, we were celebrating the retirement of someone who is both loved and respect, a wise, gentle, and insightful woman who has been a role model to so many of us. It was hard to congratulate her on a decision I am mourning.

This particular retirement is hitting some of us very hard. I'm sure that come fall, with Peggy absent from our meetings, our hallway, our presence, we will miss her all the more.

Still, life goes on. At my previous job, the first time one of my colleagues retired I was distraught. I couldn't imagine what our department would be like without him. With time, I was able to see how life goes on, and work goes on. New people bring new ideas and new energy. They change the place in unpredictable ways, even while a good colleague leaves much of herself behind. Part of the retired person stays with us, and we'll move on as a mashup of those who have moved on as well as those who continue or join.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was once quite sad when a friend of mine was leaving a job. They said, "We are all just pebbles tossed in a pond; we make our ripples and move on." I don't know if it was very meaningful but it stuck with me for 15+ years. As you note, the ripples of your colleague's actions will continue after she is gone.
-Sheri

Anonymous said...

I missed a word "we make our ripples and they move on."

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog