Tuesday, November 15, 2011

And So It Begins

Nine months ago today, I stood on the capitol lawn with colleagues for my first Wisconsin protest. It is when I first heard the chant "Recall Walker."

Today the recall began.

I have hopes for this time (besides the hope of recalling Walker, of course).

I hope that people focus on policy and process, not on personality. We need to disagree without being disagreeable. Referring to the governor as a weasel or calling him a douchebag says more about us than about him. Seriously. If you can't say something nicely, perhaps it doesn't need saying.

Second, I hope that people maintain their integrity. If we win the recall, it will matter that we have done so in a dignified, transparent, and honest manner that does not push our political opponents so far away that we can't move forward after the recall. And if we lose, do we really want the winners angry at us?

My third hope is the most important. I hope for kindness and respect. I saw an article that indicated that some Republicans and former Walker supporters now support a recall. Let's not make it harder for them, folks. It takes a lot of honesty and courage to change your mind and to bring yourself to sign your name to a paper intended to remove someone you voted for. We should show respect for these individuals. They are our best allies in building bridges toward our futures.

And so it begins...

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog