Monday, August 4, 2008

going out in public

My first semester of full-time teaching, I had a student in her mid-50's who wrote a paper about the importance of appearance. I remember one sentence in particular: "I would never go even to the grocery store in less than slacks and flats and base makeup. Jeans are for gardening; tennis shoes are for playing tennis." Since then, I've met other women who have said the same thing.

I'm headed off to the library and the grocery store in cut-off jean shorts, a t-shirt, tennis shoes, and no makeup. Is that really bad for a 43-year old woman? At least I'm not wearing my old pink flip-flops.

1 comment:

janetm said...

I think the best way and time to go to the grocery is right after working out at the Y when I am a bundle of sweaty old clothes - the paint-stained t-shirt, the fraying jeans, the only decent thing is the tennis shoes.Get those errands out of the way and then go home and clean up - but forget the makeup, except for a little eye-liner.

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog