Thursday, August 21, 2008

olympic grace

As I have most of my life, I watched the women's gymnastics events as part of the Olympics coverage. I absolutely love watching Nastia Liukin. She has a grace to her movement that is almost ethereal. The lines and curves she creates with her body are just amazing. It's like she's floating and not even working at all, she makes it look that beautiful. It's a physical grace like one I could never have. When I watch her, I feel like I'm watching a soul, not like I'm watching gymnastics.

Shawn Johnson is another kind of gymnast, the kind with explosive and energetic power. She is an amazing gymnast, although I would never use the word "grace" to describe how she jumps and balances and twirls. However, she has another kind of grace that impresses me deeply. Before winning her gold (and what an absolutely adorable smile she had for us!), she won three silvers. Despite the disappointment that was written in her eyes, each time, she approached the gold medal winner and offered her a big hug, even tugging on others' sleeves to get their attention. She smiled even when she won a silver. She exhibited great grace in the way of sportsmanship.

These women are both great gymnasts and showed very different kinds of grace.

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog