Saturday, August 23, 2008

gynecological testing

I think I have new fibroid tumors growing.  I have such a sensitive uterus that any stimulation (sex, full bladder, constipation, diarrhea, a sore back, etc.) triggers contractions/cramping.  With the fibroids, this is painful.  Right now, I feel this slow tightening, like my entire uterus is being pulled inward.  On rare occasions, the pain is--just for an instant--so severe that it causes me to get light-headed and nearly pass out.

The doctor wants me to have an ultrasound, which is what I knew would be the next step.  I have put off scheduling this test for four months now.  I dread it.  The full bladder alone is extremely painful for me, and keeping it all in my bladder is quite a challenge in itself.  Then, the ultrasound is quite invasive.  It's the transvaginal kind, which is basically like a dildo with a condom on it.  It pokes and presses against things in very uncomfortable ways, especially with the aforementioned full bladder.  Then, the ultrasonic waves themselves stimulate the uterus.  The pain from this kind of thing usually sets in about an hour later and lasts for two or three days.

The next step up from an ultrasound is an MRI.  The MRI causes all the atoms to realign, which generally doesn't cause any problems.  The first time I had a pelvic MRI, however, it was in the evening.  I expected no pain, so imagine my surprise when I woke up in the middle of the night to severe pain.

All these tests will do is confirm whether I do actually have a fibroid.  Last time, I had just a tiny one--but at only 1 cm in diameter, it caused me to nearly pass out while driving, teaching, pushing a shopping cart, etc.   I know that I have to deal with this, but man, I dread it.

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog