Friday, February 20, 2009

not my bladder study

Back  in October I had a urodynamics study.  It was incredibly embarrassing, and I was quite upset that they didn't find anything that could be dealt with during my hysterectomy.  At one point, I found myself growling something along the lines of, "Why the @#! did I have this study done if they weren't going to find anything?"  Today I found out.

One of my co-workers is facing some major health issues right now, with the probability of a degenerative neurological disorder.  I stopped by her office to check on her today and she told me she was nervous about a test she is having Tuesday.  Because her bladder has been affected by her medical condition, she will be having a urodynamics study.  As soon as I realized that she was describing the same test I'd had done, I was able to describe the procedure for her and stress how much dignity I was treated with.  Even though I fainted and I was really embarrassed at the time, I felt that I was treated very well.  She was so reassured by this, and by knowing that someone really knew what this test was like.  At that moment, I felt like there had been a purpose for me to go through that.  For me, the test was just about deciding whether to add an extra step to my surgery.  For her, the test is part of a whole change in her life and it has major implications for her future.  It made me feel good to have a difficult experience for me serve a purpose.

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog