Wednesday, November 17, 2010

broken (not the same kind)

I got a call yesterday from the athletic trainer at high school telling me that my 15-year-old son took a bad fall at wrestling practice.  A trip to the emergency room revealed a bad break.



I stayed home from school today to make phone calls and get my son into the doctor.  I was fully expecting to be scheduling surgery or at least having him walk around with one of those figure-8 braces.

Instead, we are doing nothing.  The clavicle has stem cells, and the bone can regrow all on its own.  In fact, the doctor said that in a young person, you can completely remove the clavicle and stitch back up the tube where it had been.  The stem cells in there will actually grow a completely new collarbone.  I think my jaw dropped.

So my broken son will heal while wearing a sling.  No brace, no cast, and no surgery.  A sling will provide support while the body does what it is designed to do.  He'll probably need some help getting dressed the next few days, but he'll even be able to take a shower and remove the sling at times.  It makes me wonder how many things would be just as well if left alone.

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog