Wednesday, October 1, 2008

why I'm having it out

In some circles, there's great dismay about the idea of a hysterectomy.  On the fibroids group I've been part of, women are so concerned about hysterectomies being pushed by doctors that they are radically anti-hysterectomy at times.  I was adamantly opposed to me having a hysterectomy, so imagine my surprise when I went to the doctor and said that's what I thought I should have.

I've been dealing with severe pelvic pain for several years, caused by an overly sensitive uterus and triggered by small fibroid tumor growth. Although a hysterectomy is not the only solution for fibroids, the other procedures would not have been best in my case. I would either be left with serial fibroids, having one removed only to have another one arise in a year or two, or would have been left with a shrunken less substantial tumor that would still have triggered on-going discomfort.


I met with the doctor today. I was very concerned that I might feel the doctor was pressuring me to have a hysterectomy or that I was too closed-minded against hysterectomy to listen to good reasons. Over the weekend, I did a great deal of research and reading about fibroids, the treatment options, and hysterectomy. I came to my own conclusions that this is the right choice for me, which made the conversation with the doctor much more positive than it might have been.

We have not yet scheduled the surgery. I will have a medical test done in two weeks that will provide more specific information about certain aspects of the procedure. At that time, the doctor will know how long the surgery will take and we'll schedule it. We're looking at either right before Christmas or right after New Year's.

The doctor will attempt a vaginal hysterectomy, although there is a possibility she will need to do it abdominally instead due to something about how the uterus lies in me. She will leave the ovaries in me unless there are any adhesions that make that overly complicated. (Taking them out will slam me full-swing into menopause overnight and would require me to be on hormones.) She'll remove the cervix due to my recent experiences with dysplasia, which can potentially lead to cancer. I will still need to have pap tests every year due to the dysplasia on the vaginal wall. It's pretty straightforward, and it is considered one of the safest surgeries a woman can have.


It's a big decision, and once I'm past the recovery, my quality of life should improve a great deal. Oh, and she said it's really, really going to hurt, but she promised me good drugs.

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog