Tuesday, October 21, 2008

words that should never be written (so I'm repeating them here)

Perhaps I have a slightly morbid curiosity. I used to have a job stuffing dead birds, and my co-workers and I would play with the eyeballs and dissect the guts. After the twins were born, I was thrilled to be able to look at the placenta, which was really two placentas that had fused together. Two years ago, I was so thrilled with the pictures from the inside of my uterus that I tried to show them to all my friends and I'm still trying to figure out how I can display them. (They're absolutely beautiful.) And I was disappointed when my doctor said that I would not be able to see my own uterus after the surgery, although she did say she would take a picture of it for me.

So I went online to find a video of a hysterectomy being performed. The images were not particularly disturbing. However, the instructional video had words superimposed over the image--things like "Incise the peritoneal reflection" and "Clamp across the uterine vessels."

I discovered that I do actually have a limit when I saw these words: "Enter the vagina with a scalpel."

No comments:

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
the newest lists of book recommendationsthe best book recommendations are found at Flashlight Worthy
add this widget to your blog